Friday, June 18, 2010

music recommendations from yours truly...

This week has been, like, an overflow of amazing music. There was so much music my poor head almost exploded. I just don't know how to deal with it. So I guess I'll write a blog and share with all of you the awesomeness of the sweet tunes I have discovered. (And yes, for those of you who are reading through this thinking, wow, there's a preponderance of lesbian rock on here...well, what did you expect? Deal with it).

Grace Potter & The Nocturnals



Holy good GOD, this CD is fan-fucking-tastic. Amazing like whoa. This woman's voice is simply breathtaking. The way she belts out these lyrics like she is trying to scare Satan away gives me goosebumps. By FAR one of the best cds I have heard in a very, very long time. I'm sure people at work are going to be sick of it since I don't plan on removing it from my cd player for the next two months. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.



Sarah McLachlan "Laws of Illusion"



Seven years. SEVEN FUCKING YEARS. That is how long it has been since Sarah McLachlan has released a new album. I was still in high school (wait, was I? Let me do some math...fuck, okay, first year of college). But still--to imagine me as a neurotic, stressed, no-fun college freshman that I can barely remember, and then realize THAT was the last time Sarah McLachlan released a cd is, well, fucking unnerving. (She did do all those Animal commercials that made me cry, but other than that, no Sarah). So Sarah, thank you for releasing this awesome cd. And thank you for bringing back Lilith Fair. If I can afford to go to Seattle over 4th of July weekend, I'm so there. I mean, it's THE lesbian fest of the year. And even though you tried to get Rhianna and Selena Gomez in an attempt to not make it a big lesbo-fest, it still is. Sorry.

But the cd is wonderful, and I would expect nothing less from Sarah McLachlan after all these years.



Katie Herzig



I had the privilege of seeing Katie Herzig open from Brandi Carlile back in January (oh, and I totally get to see her again in Germany when she opens for Brandi again...yesss!!). I bought her cd "Apple Tree" a while back, and it was pretty good, but I recently procured her earlier album "Weightless" and love it. She has a beautiful voice, and she is an absolutely stunning woman (not to mention incredibly nice--she and I had a nice little chat). I'm probably going to have to get the rest of her cds before I leave for Europe.



Gillian Welch



So I pretty much love Patty Griffin. And Amazon.com recommended Gillian Welch to me based on my love of Patty Griffin. Gillian Welch is, for lack of a better word, so raw. So, so raw. I hate country music, but this is "reach into your soul and rip out your emotions and twirl them around like a fucking hula-hoop" country music. I'd actually like to classify this as kind of bluegrassy-folky-awesome. Raelynn, if you read this, I need to burn you this cd. You will <3 it, I swear.



Sarah Harmer



I bought "You Were Here" and "All of Our Names" on Amazon because they were about .50 cents a piece (well, with shipping they were like 3.50 each, but still). Sarah has another one of those voices that is just simply captivating, and her songs are fantastic.



So yes, if you have time, check them out. Or I can burn you a copy. But only if I like you.

1 comment:

  1. Noted! I'm setting up some pandora stations to peruse all of these new people...I was kind of disappointed in myself that I hadn't heard of any of the new ones

    ReplyDelete