Thursday, August 19, 2010

August 19, 2010 (Munich)

I finally, finally, finally have settled down after one of the craziest days (two days? Fuck if I understand this fucking time change) ever. My flight out of Boise, which now seems ages ago, was delayed, freaking me right the shit out because I had 40 minutes BEFORE said delay to make my connection in Chicago to Munich. Luckily, even though were were 30 minutes delayed, I arrived in Chicago as my flight to Munich was boarding. Even more awesome was the fact that my friend Nate was on my flight from Boise to Chicago. It was nice to have one more person from Boise to talk to since my departure was less than graceful. Yes, I was a sobbing mess. I don't think it had actually sunk in that I was going to be gone for an entire year. Honestly, when I was packing and cleaning and organizing, it just felt like I was going on an extended vacation. It finally dawned on me as we were driving to the airport that "holy shit, I'm going to be gone for an entire year." But the world will go on. Boise will be different, I will be different and my friends will be different, but I see this as an opportunity that needed to happen.

Okay, enough of that bullshit. Let's talk about how FREAKING awesome Germany is. Never mind that everywhere I go I have no idea what people are saying to me. Munich is amazing. It is this strange combination of old meets new--the buildings are all so enriched with the past, but much of it has this modern feel (like the H&M being in this super, super old building. I believe we call that a juxtaposition, folks, even though they're not technically side-by-side. Whatever). And I am so fortunate that Vickie's cousin lives here. Ellen is absolutely amazing, and I have to thank Beni (her boyfriend) for showing me around today. I had my first authentic German beer, which was like an explosion of awesome happiness in my mouth (OMG, did I ACTUALLY WRITE THIS???)--that's what she said. And some sort of Bavarian dish that was basically a clusterfuck of stuff all fried and topped with a fried egg. Yup, any illusions I had about losing weight CLEARLY went out the window. But it was good, oh so good. After lunch, we went and bought a drindl for me to wear during Oktoberfest. My boobs look HUGE. It is fantastic! (PS, I think I look pretty hot in this pic considering I had just endured 13 hours on an airplane).



I am going to buy one with a short skirt to wear for the next 14 Halloweens.

I checked into the hostel (the Wombat Hostel), and there are three Asian girls in my room that don't speak English, and I'm pretty sure one of them is wearing some Hello Kitty pajamas. The other two girls are from Florida, but I've already forgotten their names. Oh well.

Doing more touristy stuff tomorrow, but in the meantime, I think I want another beer. Mmmm.... beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment