Monday, November 1, 2010

I have a date with my oven when I get home...

One of the not-so-great things about living in the dorms (aside from sharing my living space with a bunch of kids that are at least 8 years younger than me) is that I do not have an oven. An oven is one of those things that you really take for granted; you don't realize how much you may utilize your oven until it is gone. I cannot make salmon. I cannot oven-fry potatoes. I cannot *gasp* make cookies. Or pizzas. It is a very, very sad thing.

Yesterday I was reminded of just how much I miss my oven when I posted my favorite recipe for my most favorite cookies ever: Hershey Kiss thumbprint cookies.



I make these cookies every year for cookie exchanges, gifts for the mailman, or just for me to eat with Tessa when she comes to visit, usually accompanied by a Baileys and hot chocolate and a "Bones" marathon. There's nothing quite like snuggling under a giant fleece blanket, watching television and getting drunk while consuming 48 of these magnificent little cookies.

I've tried dozens of different thumbprint cookie recipes, but I want to share the best one I have found with everyone. You can use any sort of Hershey Kiss in the middle, or even Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Because your ass will not get big enough with just the Hershey Kisses. :)

1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. peanut butter (creamy)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together first 5 ingredients; then add remaining flour and mix until you form a sticky dough. Roll into small balls (about the size of a golf ball) and place onto a greased cookie sheet (I also like to roll the balls in some extra granulated sugar before I put them on the cookie sheet).

Bake 8-10 minutes or until just golden brown. (DO NOT bake any longer--they will get all burned and weird. Remove them IMMEDIATELY from cookie sheet and place them on a plate. If you don't, the bottom will continue to bake, aka, burn).

Place Hershey kiss (with wrapping removed) in center of each cookie, while they are still hot. You can move to cookie rack if you so choose.

Makes approximately 48 cookies.

I plan on making about 20 dozen of these cookies the Friday I get home. Vickie and I have already planned on stuffing our faces Saturday morning after the Christmas Run.

Anyways, everyone have a wonderful November--my friends in the states: eat lots of turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving and think of me...here...in the land of bratwursts.

No comments:

Post a Comment