Sunday, September 5, 2010

Weekend of Food gloriousness.

This weekend, my friend Katrin invited me to her home for food, a hot shower lasting longer than 7.35 minutes and a tour of her home town, Blieskastel, which is roughly 30 minutes outside of Saarbruecken. I was super excited a) for real food, b) to not sit in my dorm all day watching the very few movies I brought (since I'm still unable to get hulu or netflix live stream because the university has some sort of block that prevents me from downloading a program that would trick said video-watching entities into thinking I'm in the U.S.--assholes) and c) to see more of this wonderful place called Germany.

Well, okay, I'm not going to lie and pretend that I DIDN'T sit around my dorm room watching movies all day Saturday because, well, I was kind of hungover. Not hungover like I get in the states where I just can't function or move, unless it is to get up and throw up, but hungover in the sense that, well......yeah, okay, so it was that kind of hungover (minus the throwing up). I keep trying to convince myself that I am not getting hungover after a massive binge of fine, fine German beer, but who am I kidding. My liver needs more training!

Anyway, Katrin and Florian picked me up around 6 p.m., so I managed to watch "Star Trek" and "Love Actually" and take a nap or two in there before they came. We drove to her town in her cute little car, and when I walked in their house, it was seriously like walking into an art gallery. A super, super colorful art gallery. There were paintings and drawings everywhere! And it was immaculately clean. Like my house was in Boise BEFORE I moved in. I had never seen anything like it. And then I went in her bedroom. And my jealousy meter went up about 20 notches. She has undoubtedly the coolest bedroom I have ever seen. She has this sort of living room/office area downstairs, and then this freaking cool metal winding staircase that leads up to a tv room and her bedroom. And the whole thing was extremely colorful and made me wish I had a windy metal staircase in my house.

Moving on.

Her mom made a "German" pizza, which consisted of dough, tomato sauce, cheese, olives, artichokes, salami and these freaking adorable little wieners. Those little wieners were like heaven! I had two slices. And then for dessert we had ice cream with slices of peaches, strawberries and cantelope and a dash of champagne. Really, my second moment of bliss since coming to Saarbruecken.







Today, Katrin took me on a walking tour of her town. Like I said, the only reason I am not going to get fat whilst in Germany is because I fucking walk everywhere. It is ridiculous. While we were walking through town, there was some sort of old car show going on, and we came across this little number:



If you're looking at this and thinking "hmph. I see white-trash P.O.S's like this in the states all the time, what gives?" yeah, I thought the same, thing, too. I'm particularly fond of the horns on the front of the Chevy Bronco. I think it adds a certain flare to this German antique car, don't you?

Next Katrin took me up a hill to check out some churches that overlooked the city. And there were lots more crucified Christs everywhere (haha I thwarted spell checkers attempt to tell me there is no such thing as a plural of Jesus). I told Katrin Germans really like their crucified Christs. I think it might serve the German people well to see a happy version of Jesus, like him healing the blind or turning water into wine. I KNOW the Germans would love that.

She also showed me this peculiar stone hedge formation thing, which the Germans had to cut into four separate pieces during the war so that it was not some giant "bomb here" signal to the opposing countries. And because it was rather phallic looking and tall and in the middle of a field, I had to molest it:



On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to have to buy new jeans, as you will note in this picture. I can actually PULL OFF this particular pair, which is awesome but not that awesome given my limited wardrobe.

We got home and ate "dinner" (or lunch, not sure) at 4:00, which consisted of this A-FUCKING-MAZING soup with some sort of dumpling or pasta ball, salmon, peas and rice and brownies and ice cream for dessert. Hmmm....maybe I should hold off on buying that new pair of jeans. I feel my ass getting wider...

By the time I left Katrin's, I felt totally German:



Yup, because nothing screams "German" like a hooded sweatshirt, jeans, a pair of flip flops and some yahoo waving a German flag around.

No comments:

Post a Comment